Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Bricks...

When most people think about bricks, they think of clay and mortar; the building of houses and roads etc. I was once like this, now when I hear the word brick, I think "ugh..." as the word brick is now synominous with effort, pain and moving really, really, slowly. Many of you may wonder where and why I must be carrying bricks and potentially even wonder about what I am building. Alas I am no mason, I have no major blueprint that I am working on. I am simply biking, and then running. But how is that related to bricks??? It is a simple equation: Bike + Run = ICK -> BRICK

You may laugh at this but I dare any of you to go out on a long bike ride and then attempt to move with any form of speed directly after, it's damn near impossible. Go on try it. Your legs literally feel like bricks, the lactic acid has built up to such a degree while you were biking that it is hard to move. However with practice you can teach the muscles how to recover better and adjust to the change in movement. That is currently my major focus in training. It gets me on the bike (we know how I love that) and provides focus for the last transition I will have on race day. I know that by this stage I will be tired, potentially sun burnt and the last 6 miles will seem like an eternity. I am hoping though that this training will help manage some of the pain and get me out and moving as fast as I can so that I can finish in a somewhat reasonable time.

It's hard to believe that it is only 5 weeks until we head out to Hawaii, the reality of the race is becoming ever present with the ending of every day. I can only hope that the training I have done so far, and the training that I will do in these last few weeks will be enough to take me to the finish line. Having looked at our training schedule, Cathy is definitely out to kick our butts so I'm sure I'll be fine!

If you do decide to try out a BRICK, make sure you have enough fluids and snacks with you and remember - be safe, be happy and DONATE!!

No comments: