Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The last hurrah!

Last week we did a final long brick before dropping of our bikes to be shipped (literally, on a boat) over to Hawaii. I ended up doing my brick on my own, due to scheduling. I just went out and back on the burke gilman for both the bike and run - 20 mile bike and a 6 mile run. My main goal was to run the entire run, with no walking - I've done plenty of 6 mile runs now on their own, but this was to prove to myself that I could do it following a long bike ride. So that I would have no excuse on race day to walk.

The last two years I'd find myself walking on and off, for no valid reason (well, I was sore and tired and hot, but those are not valid reasons during a race). So during my brick I ran the whole way! I just sorta kept running, and managed to not really think about it. It felt really great! And what felt even better was stopping at the end - I was just a bit tired...

In general I'm very good at pacing myself - which means I can generally finish what I set out to do, but not as fast as possible, and I rarely wear myself out. So it was good practice for me to do a workout that actually left me really tired! Hopefully I'll do more in the future :).

And with that, I kissed my bike good bye (for two weeks) and dropped it off for its trip to the Big Island.

We are now ready for race day, and are starting to taper our workouts. Yay :).

No comments: