Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Biking to work

I biked to work today - in my attempt to get in two workouts of each type each week... I was reminded again of how timid a road biker I am, and also how out of biking shape I am!

The beginning of my ride starts with going down Queen Anne Ave, a super steep, long, busy road ... And I end up braking the whole way down, while worrying a car is going to turn into me any minute, or that I'll hit a hole/bump in the road (of which there are many), and go flying. Then I navigated across mercer, and finally made it to 2nd ave. I then take 2nd ave all the way through down town, till I can hop onto 90, and cross the water. Half way down 2nd ave, I realized there was a bike lane... on the left hand side of the street. I've biked here a lot, and always forget about it. There was an accident on the road today, so I got to whiz by all the stopped cars, backed up for blocks - that was pretty fun.

I then made it into the bridge, to find a delightful strong headwind pushing against me. Luckily I made it across w/o getting blown off the bridge, or into the cement barrier. I found the small hills on mercer island harder than I remembered them from last year - my poor legs. I finally made it to bellevue, and was sorta relieved to get off my bike... and Eat break fast! (because I wasn't smart enough to eat before heading out on a 15 mile bike ride).

So, hopefully by march, my bike to work will be much more enjoyable and less painful. Oh, and hopefully I'll do it more than twice a year also :).

No comments: