Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Perspective

So we all had our first track practice on Monday, it was a little cold but there was a great turnout and fun was had by all. YAY Training! :)

And then I got sick... It's nothing serious just a simple sinus infection but the doctor has prescribed a course of antibiotics. Now this is nothing new, I'm prone to them but its not pleasant and ultimately I just want to be in bed. So right now instead of being on my way to our first swimming practice; I'm sitting in work writing this blog while waiting for the traffic to die down before I head home to bed. It's probably the right call, swimming with a sinus infection = not smart and hopefully by resting I can be all good to go for the bike practice Saturday - go me!

But it occurred to me, that here I am complaining about how sick I am - aww poor Bex can't train for the triathlon - when there are men, women and children out there with blood cancers who aren't as sure that at the end of their prescribed treatment that they will be better. Now thanks for the great work of the LLS many of them will be, but they will go for regular check ups and will always have that to deal with. I have to take one pill before bed for 7 days and them I'm good. No check ups just continue on with life as normal. Sufficed to say my perspective on being sick has changed a little today and I'm even more ready to do this triathlon, and more importantly raise the much needed funds!

It's been a strange epiphany to have at 7:30ish on a Wednesday night but I felt like I should share. I know that over the next couple of weeks and months, I am going to get totally wrapped up in the preparation for the triathlon, part of me still thinks I am crazy - crazy crazy crazy. But looking at the big picture, where the money will go to and the good that it does, I know that every trial and tribulation and injury I go through will be worth it and realistically it cannot compare to what those who have blood cancers go through every day.

On that note; remember be safe, be happy and DONATE!

No comments: