Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The new adventures of Bex & Biking

So I missed a couple of weeks practices due to a sinus infection but I was up ready and willing on Saturday to go to bike practice. Having only learnt how to ride a bike a few weeks ago, this is easily the most challenging part of the triathlon for me.

Practice this week was at Marymoor Park, and I had plans later in the day to go to a friends for a pre-thanksgiving dinner right near there. So I arranged to stay at hers the night before and save time in the morning; in return for being available to help cook after. A fantastic plan it was, all I had to do was get up and ride over to the park and meet everyone at 8am in Park lot K. 7:50am I set off, and first came across Lot G, rode around for another 5 mins and found B, and then D and then at 8:25 eventually heard a GO TEAM and found the group and Lot K. Not exactly a great start to the morning, although I had rode for 30 minutes so that was good. I signed in with Cathy and we set off back through the park and up onto East Lake Sammishway Parkway - where I had just come from!! I wont' lie I was a little tired already but soon learnt that this was probably because I had the bike seat too low and that I was biking in far too high a gear. A couple of adjustments later and I was much more comfortable and beginning to settle into a good cadence. All in all, things were going well. I was terrified of biking alongside the road but Cathy was a great support and I powered on through. That is until my feet slipped off the pedals, I lost control and completely crashed into a guard rail! Now many things pass through your mind when you know you are about to fall, apparently I had the presence of mind to not fall into the oncoming traffic and to also grab hold of the guard rail so as not to tumble down the embankment on the other side and into the lake. Granted I don't think I would've gone over the rail now, but it was definitely a thought that went through my head. I'm very happy Cathy was there and she made sure I was ok after the fall. There were no major injuries. I winded myself and have some bruised ribs and legs and a new appreciation for toe cages. But after resting a few minutes, I got back up and biked back with Cathy (with my feet in the cages I might add) -I wasn't about to let the bike or the fall get the better of me.

So my first biking practice was definitely exciting, and I certainly hope the rest are much more mundane but I think I made some good progress and I planning to head out again this weekend - although I might stick to trails for a little while!

Track on Monday paled in comparison - YAY!! No more new bruises! Although my hamstrings are not happy with me, but that is to be expected for the first while. It was a fun practice though, with a little bit of competition as we tried out some relay drills. Nothing quite like watching a group of people doing butt kicks, knee raises and sidewinders! :) Although I won't be running on race day - a torn disc makes this very painful - I enjoy the track practices and am hoping to get my time down a little between now and March but we shall see. Thankfully the triathlon is not timed so I could take all day but I'm hoping to finish in 5 hours.

Only swim practice left for this week, I haven't been swimming in a long time and the back injury will make this interesting. It's a concern and I don't really know how to breathe properly, or have good form... hmmm yes ready for March?? hopefully!

On that note, remember be safe, be happy and DONATE!

1 comment:

Brian H. said...

Wow... eventful day for sure! Sorry to hear about the "get off" Bex. I am happy you got up and right back on the bike. Everyone falls at some point, it's getting back up and continuing with what you were doing that shows character!